Hello everyone! It's finally Wednesday, mid-week! I'm not too excited about Wednesdays usually because I've got an 830 tutorial that lasts for two hours. Droning... on and on......
Anyway, after my Geography tutorial, I went with two of my friends to NTU canteen to watch a Malay cultural dance performance. The two of them are Malays. Anyhow, we reached there and the dancers were mostly Malay students from our school. So there are actually two parts to the performance.
The first part were two couples dancing together in that nice graceful manner which epitomizes Malay dances. It was kind of cute when they kick the ground lightly with their heels and cock their heads to one side and smiled at each other. But in a crude way of putting this, they were just bouncing around and smiling. But anyhow, my friend suddenly looked at us and said "Wah imagine courtship has to be like that? Sure lose a lot of weight!"
HAHAHAH it was hilarious you should have seen her face.
Then the second part of the performance was a small group of 6 Malay girls dancing. It was really good too, the way they moved their hands, so gentle but yet firm.
Then after the performance, I feel like the Chinese tradition has shrivelled up into something brownish and unindentified. But anyway I kind of feel sad that the Chinese in Singapore no longer see a value in the Chinese traditions.
Nowadays Chinese only like to watch people dance hiphop and any other kind of nonsense funny weird songs, other than Chinese dance. So strange right? Abandoning ourselves. But anyway I guess it's just that we're so homogenised with every other race, we're so exposed to the pop culture, that we simply lost our identity.
How sad. My entry has turned into a Human Geography essay.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Happy Wednesday!
Posted by Gladys at 4:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment