My neighbour lent me this children storybook about a porcelain rabbit, Edward Tulane.
One part of the book struck me quite hard.
"What's the point of the story when there's no love?"
I don't know, but for a children storybook with such a strong message, there's quite an impact on me.
The book puts across the importance of loving in such a subtle and mild manner that during some parts of the book I feel quite lost in my own train of thoughts.
In the midst of that, I recalled my other neighbour telling me about how she made chrysanthemum tea and she put the rubber lid over the bottle and the lid popped out because of the heat.
Does that apply to feelings? It's so scary to love so deeply and it's so hard to put a lid to that.
Edward found many different owners because he got lost. He loved all his other owners, and that was when he regretted not loving the first one, Abilene. But every other owner, left him, not usually by choice. I wonder if that makes the parting process any easier.
I suddenly thought of P.S. I love you, when Holly and her mother were arguing. Holly said it's difficult to get over Gerry's death. Her mother argued that it's difficult to move on from her husband's (Holly's dad's) abandonment too, but she did it. Then Holly said something about Gerry didn't have a choice when he died. And her mother asked her, "So it's easier to be abandoned by choice?"
It's so strange, love. It has equal power to build and break.
Water is measured in millilitres. Weight is measured in grams. Speed is measured in metres per second. Height is measured by centimetres. But what is love measured by?
Is it by Joules because of the energy it gives you? Or is it measured in Newton?
Edward broke and was repaired. He was put up for sale in a dollmaker's shop. It was months later when a lady and her daughter came in. Abilene was the lady.
Hence, miraculous journey.
0 comments:
Post a Comment