Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Marley and Me

Yes, today is yet another book review! Maybe I should start a bookworm club. Okay putting my future plans aside, it's time to indulge in another awesome book.

This is book is really..wow. It's like a quick summary of life being together with this Labrador, Marley. The author and his wife had a tough time with Marley because he's a total dimwit but behind all his silly acts, Marley is a down-to-earth and sensible dog.

The first incident that touched my heart was when the author's wife had a miscarriage and somehow, Marley felt her pain too and consoled her by resting his chin on her lap. It's really wonderful. I think about my Xiaohei who is also always here for me when I'm upset or brawling. Somehow she is able to sense it and will come to accompany me while I'm weeping over a fight or a heartbreak.

Also when they had their first child, I read how Marley bonded with the baby, read how Marley coped with the sudden addition in his life and I read how the baby loved Marley like hell. It was like looking at an entire scene unfold in my head. It caused my maternal instinct to spring out from nowhere and I felt like having children too.

Lots of things happened which I think none of you will be interested to know since I don't know anyone who's as crazy about her pet as Bernice and Bernice has already read the book. So yeap, I'll skip straight to the last few chapters.

The last few chapters were really very saddening. Marley was ageing and soon, his old age was catching up on him and he began to lose his sight and even the ability to walk properly.

It really made tears well up in my eyes because I have a dog now who has lost most of her eyesight and she is very much deaf. I'll be so sad if she were to pass away because she has been with my family for almost twelve years. Then after that, a lot of problems arose and soon it was only humane to put Marley to sleep. It was horribly upsetting. Though if it was me I would do the same too. But to watch your dog slowly close its eyes for the very last time and you know you'll never get to see it walk around or jump on you again...it's just terrible. I think what made me want to cry is because I keep imagining myself in his shoes and because I have dogs too, I could almost feel his pain.

So because my tear glands are so active and I was actually having GP lessons, I had to read two lines, shut the book to calm myself down then continue reading two more lines again.

There's this line which I found it really funny and meaningful.

"It's just the most amazing thing to love a dog, isn't it? It makes our relationships with people seem as boring as a bowl of oatmeal."

And you know what? I couldn't agree more.

I often tell Bernice that I might die alone with many animals in my house. They don't judge you, they don't insult you and they still love you even though you wallop them sometimes. They are not shy about showing how much they want your attention and really, their innocence really makes the whole relationship worthwhile. It's beautiful and I think that your life will never be lived to the fullest if you don't have a pet. I'm not talking about fishes or something along that line. Something that you get to cuddle or something that actually responds. It's something like how some people feel that their lives are completed with a child, having a dog makes it even more fulfilling!

The book made me love my darling Xiaohei more.

0 comments: