Saturday, September 10, 2005

Are you different?

I read my friend's blog about being different and it suddenly occurred to me that many people actually strive very hard to be different. But why? I can never understand the need to stand out from the rest.

What actually what defines 'standing out'? Is it wearing oversized tee shirts or putting on lots of eyeliner? I've always thought that people who craved to be different, actually craved attention. Examples of attention, in my opinion, would be disapproving stares from the older generations and mockery.

I tend to stifle my laughter whenever I see people who adorn themselves with boots and leg-warmers. I not only snigger at them because they look so terribly wrong, it's also because of their stupidity. I mean, hello? This is Singapore. It's a fucking tropical country and the humidity level is really high. Not only does it look like an eyesore, the 'Outstander' is probably suffering physically. I'm sure Singaporeans know the meaning of warmth as well as how they know the meaning of money.

I think people who dress like a Bohemian look really nice. I would think it's a very bold and loud dressing. But if it's not comfortable, why force yourself? Actually I think it's confidence which makes one look good. Maybe the cliche 'Look good, feel good.' really does make sense.

For example, girls. Sometimes we tend to have our 'Fat days', (though sadly for me is 'Permanent Fat Days'), and we always think we look awful on those days. I think it's the same concept. Dressing well doesn't only mean fashionable, it also includes comfort.

Once too many time I've see faces that are caked with makeup. It's probably a desperate attempt to hide pockmarks because they can't erase them away with an airbrush. But we cannot deny that makeup works almost as well as Wonderbra. Just don't overdo it.

People who try too hard always fail. The harder they try, the easier it is to see that they're trying really really hard to make an impression.

Okay I'm taking a break from this really energy-consuming talk. I suddenly fell in love with Champagne Supernova all over again. It's by Oasis, the greatest band who plays the greatest songs. It made me really really nostalgic. I thought about my old friends. Happy happy memories. Memories is a dire way of remembering something which you don't want to let go. Just like photographs, it's a form of memory. Sometimes when I want to remember something dearly, I'll think about it every night before I sleep. But I've stopped now. Why?

Because I'd rather leave it as just a memory which will be refreshed again if I see or hear something familar. I don't want to remember it because I don't want to lose how I felt at that moment. Normally when a memory is very precious to us, it's because of the emotion we feel right at that moment.

Like the day Weicong asked me to be his girlfriend. I don't need to replay that moment again and again because I feel that way every day. (:

0 comments: