Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Banana muffins... cake?

Hiya! I baked my first batch of banana muffins but because I'm a complete greenhorn, it came out looking exactly like banana cake!



You can actually see banana bit at the right side! Hahah.

Okay actually I put the batter into the paper thingy and everything just sort of went out of place and all my muffins were all in oblong shape so I cut them into small cuboids and cubes. My mom thinks they are not bad, just not sweet enough.

Hmm, after baking custard puffs (I didn't blog about this!) and muffins, I realised the amount of sugar that has been put into all these pastries in the bakeries outside. For my muffins, I put about 1/2 cup sugar and three very sweet bananas but after baking it, it's barely sweet.

And I think it's not moist enough! I shall tweak my recipe a little and try again!

But frankly, baking is more difficult than cooking! It's hard to make the muffins split open on the top and it's quite difficult to control the amount of beating. I'll see how my baking hobby goes!

I've been cooking/baking quite a bit these few days and been doing all the washing. Now my hands are rough and the skin's coming off :( I'm all old and shrivelled.



Banana Muffin Recipe (makes 12 large muffins)

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

4 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg & 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, beat the mashed bananas, sugar, eggs and melted butter together.
4. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
5. Divide the batter into the muffin tray.
6. Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.



Okie dokie, this didn't quite work out for me because
#1 I don't have a muffin tray.
#2 I don't have a sieve.
#3 I keep opening the oven door HAHAHAHA.

So if this recipe is good for you, let me know! I might go and buy a sieve and I'll chain myself somewhere while it's baking. I'm definitely getting a muffin tray soon, the oblong shapes really amused me and I was laughing quite a bit at the "muffins".

Oh and I've already accepted NIE! Here I come, NTU/NIE! I hate this combined thing. It's super confusing I don't understand. First of all, I had to accept the course with the NTU registration number. And my friends got rejection letters from NTU and they asked if that meant that NIE also rejected them etc.

Super confusing! I think they should revamp the system to make it clearer and more efficient. Don't ask me how they'll do that, they are being paid, I'm just giving my feedback.

This morning was greaaaaaat. I made breakfast and made someone's day!

I'm quite confident that this month's gas bills will exceed 5$.

0 comments: