I just read this book by Jodi Picoult titled Plain Truth. It is terribly engaging and I would say it's really successful at keeping the reader in suspense. For the first time in my life, I actually couldn't help but to flip to the back to see what is the ending all about.
Okay I'll quickly try to sum up the whole book. It's actually a book that challenges the beliefs of the Plain people, also known as Amish people. Amish are a group of people who mostly live in USA and they are very, very staunch believers of Christianity but because it is so radical that it takes up another form of Christianity. They live very simple lives that does not revolve around electricity nor automobiles. In short, their livestyle is probably the closest to modernisation and yet, so very not tainted by globalisation. No crap American television programmes and really, no contact to the 'real world'.
Okay, an Amish girl, is accused of murdering her newborn baby whom she had with another boy from the 'real world'. By the laws in US, it's murdering. Well, there's a big difference between murder and manslaughter. But anyway, the girl insists that she did not murder the baby, in fact, she would very much like to keep it but she passed out after labour in her family barn and when she woke up, the baby was gone and she figured it was God's way of helping her get rid of what is badgering her for eight months. So of course, none of the jury is Amish because they would not partake in any kind of lawsuit cases or anything that is alongside with publicity. And most importantly, no one will understand her point of view because they haven't lived the Plain life.
It's a really big hoo-haa that this is happening because Amish people are supposed to keep to themselves and you know, live quietly. Anyhow, the girl already has a childhood friend who loves her to death and she loves him pretty much too. I read this part when this childhood friend went up the stand to testify for her. I was pretty overwhelmed I had to stop and write down the page number so I can blog about it.
"So if you forgave Katie, she must have done something wrong -- in spite of the fact that you told us not five minutes ago she didn't."
Samuel was silent for a moment. I held my breath, waiting for George to strike the killing blow. Then the Amishman looked up. "I am not a smart man, Mr Callahan. I didn't go to college, like you. I don't really know what you're trying to ask me. Yes, I forgave Katie -- but not for killing a baby. The only thing I had to forgive Katie for was breaking my heart." He hesitated. "And I don't think even you English can put her in jail for that."
I think I need to clarify a little things around here. Although I think probably only Bernice has read until this stage, but never mind.
Katie is the accused. Samuel is the childhood friend. George is the prosecutor. 'I' is referring to the attorney for Katie. Amish people attend school until Grade eight only, that's about Secondary two in our context and they can't stand English people. And by that I'm not only referring to the Europeans. The Americans too.
Okay the story is far more complicated than this and I won't be blogging so much about it if not I think I might be infringing some sort of copyright laws and I might be charged for sharing too much good things with my readers.
Go buy the book. I would lend it to you if you promise to take care of it like it's your own book but I can't because the book's not mine. Anyway if you were to read the book, I think you may find the title of the book really, really meaningful.
Anyway, setting all that aside. I miss you. And that, is the plain truth.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Plain Truth.
Posted by Gladys at 12:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment